Monday, May 4, 2009

Masquerading As "Professional": The Perfect Spring/Summer Jacket To Turn Comfort Into Business Attire and Also To Throw Over Your Jeans ($70)

Anyone who knows me knows that I generally favor jersey over suiting, comfort over stodgy, and am far from the buttoned up Suited Professional who tends to wander the halls of my office. However, as part of my new goal to at least masquerade as a Suited Professional (and hopefully avoid shrinking into the corner of the elevator with sheepish embarrassment when the The Suited Professional(s) With Power enter), I've been on the hunt for jackets that I can throw on over my jersey dresses, hopefully appearing more tailored and "official". Somehow cardigans, while cute, don't lend that extra level of professionalism. Enter this little number. I apologize about the lack of a picture but it wouldn't let me save it as a separate file; and really, how much effort is it to click on a link? Now, I know it is from JC Penney, but take comfort in the fact that it is JonesWear (which is part of the same company as Jones New York - I think). In my online shopping obsessiveness, you should also know that I experimented with several jackets from Calvin Klein, Nordstrom, Banana, Ann Taylor, Macys and others.

This one was a keeper and so far has shown the most use out of the few that I actually kept. The linen-rayon fabric is lined, but it is also light and tailored, and looks just as good worn opened, buttoned, or tied smartly at the waist. Though it does wrinkle a bit, it does not wrinkle anymore than a regular gabardine suit, nor does it wrinkle as much as other linen that I have owned, so don't let that deter you. The length is perfect over a skirt, dress, or slacks, and works equally well thrown over a pair of jeans for those Sunday birthday brunches where you want to look a little nicer, but don't want to forfeit your weekend opportunity to go casual. The light tan color compliments dark colors, light colors and patterns. It is truly the most versatile jacket that I've ever owned and in the last three weeks I've received several compliments on my outfits - in fact, the outfits themselves were ones that I'd donned many times in the past without the jacket and which had previously resulted in nary a peep from anyone; this has lead me to believe that yes, this jacket is magic. Also, the tan is a shade darker and not nearly as monotone as how it appears in the photo. The overall effect is chameleon-like, with the jacket appearing more casual with jeans and more suited with business wear. Just the masquerading effect I was going for. I have long arms and a long torso, so keep that in mind if you decide to order. I am not sure how it would work on someone with a more petite frame, but I do encourage you to give it a try, and if it doesn't work out for you, you can always return it via mail or to to any JC Penney location (yes, there is one at the Fox Hills Mall and I paid my first-ever visit to that mall recently - returns were easy peasy - just head up the third floor catalog department and you'll be out of there in less than seven minutes (including parking)).

2 comments:

  1. The chick on the website for the jacket looks nice, but there is something odd about her expression. It kind of looks like she is waiting for the rapture or something.... Could the Jacket actually be a sign of the second coming?

    - Ethan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is one of the most vital info for me. And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The website style is perfect, the articles is really excellent : D. Good job, cheers

    ReplyDelete