Monday, May 18, 2009

The Perfect Cocktail: Gin Lovers Only!


For a long time I have thought that gin and tonic with extra lime is truly the most perfect cocktail - not too sweet and heavy (like a margarita can get after only one), appropriately citrus-y and easily sipped on its own, although it will not be ruined if you have a few bites of food as well. A gin and tonic also has the added advantage that it is difficult to mess up - true, some are much better than others, but even the worst one is likely palatable as long as the tonic is fizzy and you throw in some fresh lime. I'm also a fan of liqueurs as well, though I often find them too sweet and so generally stay away from them unless I'm adding a dash to a glass of sparkly, like prosecco or cava.


With this bit of a background, you can imagine my delight when I discovered a wonderful cocktail offering on a menu while visiting Colorado last spring. The words "gin"and "St. Germain" leapt from the page with intensity, followed with another favorite, "champagne." The word "lemon" was a clincher, appealing to my preferences for cocktails that carry a citrus base. The pronouncement of "honey" as an ingredient did nothing for me at the time, since I am rather neutral on honey, enjoying it in herbal tea once in awhile but otherwise not giving it much thought.

Well, the cocktail arrived and it was sublimely perfect. Sweet immediately on the tongue with the flowers and fruit of St. Germain but quickly giving way to the bite of lemon and gin, all with a bit of bubbly dancing around on your palate, changing things up a bit and keeping the drink alive in your mouth. After offering sips to my travel companions (each of whom pronounced the drink delicious), I hoarded the rest of it to myself, determined to try to recreate it when I got home.

Since I'm not great at measuring, preferring instead to taste as I go, I offer the below amounts only as a guideline. You should adjust depending on preferences. Also, a word to the wise - do not ignore the honey in this libation. It adds an extra perfume and layered flavor that really compliments the St. Germain and lemon and although the drink is delicious without, I believe the honey really is the silent ingredient that helps to launch this drink into another category of deliciousness.

Cocktail: 1.5 shots of gin (I usually have Bombay around), 1 shot of St. Germain, a squeeze of fresh lemon - mix or shake well with ice so that it is very cold. Add a tablespoon or so of a simple syrup made with honey and water (mixologists would probably be horrified, but I make mine in the microwave - do not try to heat the honey in the microwave without adding the water - it will turn into a sticky mess that cannot be easily added to the drink). Garnish with a floater of champagne (or other sparkly, like prosecco) and a twist of lemon.
A note about St. Germain: you can pick up a bottle of this elderflower liqueur at Bevmo, but you can also order it online. The flavor profile is unique and the bottle is gorgeous.

1 comment: